Returning Kenyan Resident can bring one car dutyfree
You are allowed, among other items, one motor vehicle (excluding buses and mini buses) into the country duty free subject to the following conditions:
- You must have resided outside Kenya for at least two years during which period you should not have visited Kenya for an aggregate of more than 90 days.
- You must have personally owned and used the motor vehicle for at least twelve months.
- The motor vehicle must not be older than 8 years.
- You must have attained the age of eighteen years.
- You must not have been granted a similar exemption previously.
Other items that may be exempted when imported as baggage by a returning resident are:
- Wearing apparel
- Personal and household effects which were in his personal or household use in his former place of residence
Documentation required for clearing the vehicle:
- Original passport to confirm the above
- Vehicle Log book to confirm the above
- Bill of Lading
- Pre Inspection Certificate
- KRA Pin Card
As many of you may know, KRA have become very strict in their requirements and they recently published an article in the Daily Nation with respect to vehicles imported by returning residents.