Importing cars into Timor Leste East Timor by Jim Autos Thailand, Australia, United Kingdom, Singapore, Japan, Dubai UAE
By Jack Kates
Maximum age of used motor vehicles allowed into the country
It is prohibited to import light passenger and mixed vehicles more than 5 years from the date of their original manufacture to the date of import, with the following exceptions:
- Vehicles imported by returning residents who have lived outside of Timor-Leste for a continuous period of more than 12 months, as long as the vehicle was purchased, registered and owned abroad by the person importing it for at least 12 months before being imported into Timor-Leste
- Heavy passenger vehicles with over twenty seats
- Heavy cargo vehicles, including vans and lorries with cargo capacity over four tons, agricultural vehicles, construction vehicles and material-handling vehicles
- Motor vehicles imported under international agreements
- Motor vehicles imported for personal use identified as collectibles or
- Motor vehicles determined by the Directorate-General of Revenue and Customs as having public utility and donated to registered charities, in order to provide assistance to the community.
Duty payable when importing a motor vehicle
The duty payable on the importation of a motor vehicle is:
- Import Duty: 2.5 % of the CIF value of the vehicle
- Sales Tax: 2.5% (CIF value+ Import Duty+Excise Duty) *If the vehicles cost more than 70,000 US
- Excise Duty: 5 % of the (CIF value + Import Duty) * If the value of the Motor vehicles is higher than $70,00
CIF is the customs value of the vehicle i.e. the Cost, Insurance and Freight paid for the vehicle.
Before importing a motor vehicle, importers must obtain a permit from the National Director of Ground Transportation.
Best Source of Right Hand Drive Vehicles
Whether you are looking for a RHD car, RHD pickup truck, RHD minibus, RHD van, RHD Sport Utility Vehicle, RHD MPV, RHD commercial truck, RHD bus, RHD armored vehicle, RHD amublances, RHD fire trucks or RHD anti-terrorism vehicle, Jim is world’s top source of Right Hand Drive vehicles. With presence in all Right Hand Drive powerhouses as Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Dubai UAE we can get any RHD vehicle of your choice in new or used. The same goes for Left hand Drive vehicles as well.