Who can bring a car into India
The total Customs duty incidence on cars comes to around 181%. The car can only be imported if you are transferring residence into India, the engine capacity is less than 1600 cc (for new cars - there is no engine size limit for old and used cars) and the vehicle is in your possession for more than 1 year.
In other words, only personal imports are allowed. Particularly, for these groups:
- Persons (Indian National or Foreigners) Coming/Returning To India For Permanent Settlement.
- Foreign Nationals Married To Indian Nationals.
- Foreign Nationals Working In India.
- Foreign Firms, Companies And Institutions Established In India.
- Companies Incorporated In India Having Foreign Equity.
- Journalists/Correspondents Of Foreign News Agencies.
- Indian Firms Executing Contracts Abroad.
- Charitable And Missionary Institutions.
- Physically Handicapped Persons.
- Honorary Consuls Of Foreign Government.